Monday, February 25, 2008

More on the Oscar's lack of style

DAHLINGS -

Most of the critics are complaining that the dresses were too "safe." It's been that way for years, lookalike long stately Grace Kelly gowns, dull, dull, dull. That is why I am almost grateful for those who are willing to look totally awful.

Take for example Tilda Swinton. With no makeup and an huge one-armed dress made out of a black satin bedsheet that she must have bought at a 99 cent store, she certainly stood out. In fact, she reminded me strongly of those all-white mannequins you see in the shops, the faceless kind.



Then we have this strange man on the red carpet wearing an enormous John Travolta mask. I wonder who he is?



And once again, Nicole Kidman lets us down, in a shapeless black dress and a messy diamond necklace that looks like a chandelier dropped on her head en route to the podium.



You actually cannot get the full effect from this photo, but trust me on this one.

Ciao,
Elisa & Bucky the Wonderdog

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hmm...

I was not at all fond of the placement of Mrs. Kidman's neckvine. It draped over her bosom in such a framing lopsided manner that I was mentally begging her to fix it. It reminded me of how an apron works its way to one side of the chest, leaving one breast exposed to ketchup and criticism.

I did like that it was enormous and shiny. That could be my inner magpie talking though.